Friday, September 3, 2010

Step 1: The Consult

K and I scheduled a follow-up consult with Dr. Slater for the 1st of September. Since she hadn't seen us in 2 years, she needed to go over any changes in our medical history and the likes. 
Dr. Slater is very convinced that the appendix issue is the cause of my current problems. Since I'm on the Metformin and it has gotten my glucose/insulin ratio back to normal, that means the insulin resistance is 'cured'. I should be ovulating on my own. I am not. She said appendix issue has cause pelvic lesions, which is keeping me from ovulating. She said the fact that 3 previous IUI's did not work helps confirm this for her.

So, our only option is In-Vitro Fertility, or IVF. It is a long process, starting this month.  They only do IVF cycles every other month, so we would be on the November cycle.  She feels we have a 65-70% chance of success from IVF, with a 40% chance of twins. 
We both had to get some blood drawn at the appointment to make sure we haven't contracted any diseases in the past two years.  K, hater of needles, nearly passed out from the simple blood draw.  That will give me some joking ammunition for a while!

We talked with the financial counselor and got to the nitty-gritty of it all.  She broke down each cost for each procedure, and gave us an estimate for the medications.  I won't get into the details here, but let's just say it isn't cheap. 

We talked about it ourselves and with our wonderful families.  After much discussion, and the full support of the families, we decided it is now or never!  I'm not getting any younger at 31 and the price only goes up with each year as the success rate goes down. 

I called Janna, the IVF coordinator, today to let her know that we are ready to rock and roll.  She is out for the day, and probably out the whole weekend, though they may be open on Monday.  So, this weekend, K and I are going up to Cascade for a relaxing weekend with some friends before the real fun begins. 

This is a long process.  Even though the actual procedure is not until November, the process starts in about a week.  I will update this as time goes on so everyone can follow the progress with us. 

I hope everyone enjoys the ride!!

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for you guys! Good luck and I can't wait to hear more! PCOS just sucks why does it have to make things so complicating for us women. Love ya, Tylee

    ReplyDelete