Thursday, November 4, 2010

Egg Retrieval

The retrieval was this morning.  Keith had to give his fresh "sample" today, too. 
We got there at 8:30, checked in and I was in the room by 9:00.  The Anesthesist missed the first attempt at an IV on the back of my hand, so he had to go up for the artery in my elbow.  He got it that time. Thankfully, he's nice enough to use some Lidocaine to numb the spot before he starts digging.  They got me all situated on this contraption:



And I was out in 30 seconds.  About 20 minutes later, I was awake and coherent.  I went into a recovery room for about 10 minutes.  Dr. Slater came in and said they got 28 eggs!!! 
TWENTY EIGHT!! 
So, they are washing them and will have 28 little dishes out and attempt to fertilize each and every one.  Tomorrow we'll get a call to know how many fertlized over night.  Then we'll talk to them on Sunday for an update to see if we should do a 3-day transfer on Sunday, or wait for a 5-day on Tuesday.  She's anticipating that we'll get 6-8 viable embryo's so we can freeze 6 and transfer 2. 


I'm home now, catching up on my shows and Keith's renting me some chick-flicks from Redbox.  I've got the heating pad on my belly, and Cleo cuddling right on top of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment