Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Embryo Transfer

Yesterday was our embryo transfer.  I had to be there at 3:00, with a full bladder.  I was seen at 3:30 by the acupuncturist, with an overflowing bladder.  I was given a Valium to relax the cervix and presumably myself.  He did a treatment to relax me and to direct blood flow to my uterus.  While I lay there, I could barely breathe, my bladder was so full!  So, after 30 minutes of 'cooking' he came in, took out the needles, and got permission from the nurses for me to pee for "3 Mississippi".  They were running about 45 minutes behind, so I guess they took pity on me.  I swear, having a full bladder and being able to empty for 3 seconds is probably worse than just the full bladder. 

We finally moved into the procedure room.  Dr. Slater came in an explained the quality of the embryo's.  Grade 1 is the best, Grade 3 the worst.  Then, each embryo divides and divides into cells, and the more cells, the better.  We were hoping for some Blasts, which are Grade 1 or 2 10+ cells.  Unfortunately, mine didn't get that far.  We were able to freeze one Grade 1, 6 cell; three Grade 2, 6 cells; one Grade 2, 7 cell.  We had four Grade 2, 8 cells (known at C/M.  Don't ask me what that stands for) and they are watching 2 of them to freeze later, and transferred the other two. 

At first, the way she made it sound, it wasn't very promising.  They didn't get as far as she wanted.  But, they didn't arrest, didn't stop growing.  My heart dropped.  Everything had been going so great.  She saw that my face drained of blood and attempted to reassure me that this is not a bad thing.  She sees successful pregnancies all the time from C/M transfers.  Just barely below a Blast.  The way she explained it is that a embryo goes to 8 cells.  Then the next day, they start to look a bit like a raspberry.  The next day, the Blast step, they break out of the raspberry shape.  Mine haven't broken out yet. 

She told us that we have about a 45% success rate with these two embryos.  37% chance of single birth, 8% chance of twins. 
Here's a picture of our babies.  The ones on the top are the 4 day growth, the bottom are what was transferred.


The ultrasound tech located my bladder, which was overflowing.  This is so they can see the uterus better.  Dr. Slater put the catheter in (painless!!) and then showed us where each little embryo was going.  You can't actually see the embryo's on the ultrasound, but you can see the air bubbles.  They are both in between the air bubbles.  I've circled them here:


After the transfer, I got another acupuncture treatment, to again direct blood flow and relax the spirit.  And then I was on my merry way. 

Keith was great last night.  He got me my favorite Lobster Bisque from Jaker's and waited on me hand and foot.  He kissed my belly last night and told our babies goodnight.  He's so optimistic about this!

Honestly, I'm having a hard time being happy right now.  I think it's kinda anti-climatic.  We did so much every day for 2 months, and now...nothing.  Just sitting around and waiting.  I just can't get over what Dr. Slater said and how our chances went from 65-70% to 45%.  Keith keeps reminding me that she also said that a normal 20-year-old woman only has a 20% chance each month naturally.  And she said it was nothing to worry about.  Basically, we got 2 B's on our report card instead of A's.  And we have 2 more B's and a few B-minuses in reserve.  But I just can't seem to shake this funk I've been in since yesterday.  I'm having a hard time being positive, and that is horrible.  I need to think super happy thoughts for these babies to have a chance. 

I go in on the 17th for a baseline Beta blood test.  I won't know the results of that test.  Then, on the 19th, I go in again and we see if the number has increased.  If it has, it is considered a 'chemical pregnancy'.  The embryo's are in there and growing, but not necessarily implanted yet.  If that is the case, 10 days later, I get another blood test.  If the numbers are still going up, we have a viable pregnancy.  This is going to be a LONG 20 days!!! 

So, I'm watching Glee, cuddling with the critters in front of the fire.  I'm reading a good book and just relaxing.  I've been ordered by my husband to sit my butt on that couch and relax.  I'm slouched down as low as possible while I type this out, since we don't have a laptop.  But Dr. Slater did say the embabies don't know the difference between sitting and lying down.  I'm kinda in between. 

That's a good summarizing of how I feel right now, too!  I'm kinda in between.

5 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear the embies were not what you had hoped, but you still have a GREAT chance! Also, keep in mind what your doctor is quoting you is the live birth rate, which you can't compare to the pregnancy rate quoted elsewhere.

    Man, your doc is rough with the betas being milked out like that, I would hate that!

    Good luck! Try and keep yourself distracted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of sticky, positive vibes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did they give you any explanation as to why everything was going so perfectly, but they didnt' develop as "A's"?

    I read in another friend's blog, and notice this myself with mice... Some Grade 1's go nowhere, and some Grade 2's and 3's develop into perfectly normal, happy, healthy babies. The fact that you made it to a day 5? transfer is still great.

    Will you be getting any more accupuncture in the next 20 days? what a long time to wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. G&K;

    You guys are amazing to even start this journey! I am super excited for you and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep the posts coming so we can all watch your progress! Besides, it will give you something to do while you're lounging around... =]

    Love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be positive. I can almost recognise little Ken in the left one and the right one is definately beautiful Keni. If love can make them grow, they'll be healthy full term twins. We love you, Dad and Glenda

    ReplyDelete